How to stop steam updating
How to stop steam updating - free online dating sites brisbane
A second batch of ten N15s was built between June 1922 and March 1923 to cope with the intensified timetable to the West Country.Following Grouping in January 1923, the LSWR became part of the new Southern Railway, and the Chief Mechanical Engineer, REL Maunsell, rebuilt the former Drummond G14 and P14 4-6-0s to Maunsell's N15 specification.
With smoke curling out from its chimney and safety valve blowing, Rebuilt Battle of Britain Class 34060 '25 Squadron' suffers a signal check at Clandon whilst working a Waterloo - Bournemouth special working.
In 1925 REL Maunsell set about the construction of a Class 7P 4-cylinder locomotive with an improved boiler and Belpaire firebox, albeit the design was compromised by the weight restrictions imposed by the SR's Civil Engineer.
The first of the 'Lord Nelson' class No 850 emerged from Eastleigh Works in August 1926.
The first 20 locomotives built at Eastleigh Works became known as the 'Urie N15s', and were constructed in two batches of ten engines between 19.
Whilst the double bogie tenders were similar in appearance, the N15s tenders were strengthened to hold 5,000 imperial gallons of water for the London-West of England service.
In 1963 it was transferred to the Western Region and re-coded 83D, but two years later it was closed to steam;(Above) Another super-wide view from the carriage window as the train passes Seaton Junction on 9th July 1961.
Opened in 1868, the branch serving the seaside resort of Seaton became a popular venue with holidaymakers, but with increased car ownership during the 1960s, holiday traffic to the resort declined and this led to a gradual run down of rail services and eventual closure of both the branch and junction in March 1966.
No 4535(Above-Inset) Introduced in January 1914, Urie's LSWR H15 class mixed-traffic 4-6-0s formed the basis of a powerful new express passenger locomotive capable of handling the increased train loads on the LSWR route to the West Country.
The result was Urie's N15 class, which, despite incorporated many features from his earlier H15 class (both had flat-sided Drummond-style cabs with gently curving roofs, high runningplates for ease of maintenance and eight-wheel double bogie tenders) the N15s most distinctive features included larger 6 ft 7ins driving wheels, increased sized cylinders and the tapered boiler was very different from the H15's parallel type.
The line was originally worked by Beattie 2-2-2 Well Tanks, followed by O2 and T1 Class 0-4-4Ts, occasionally supported by an Adams radial 4-4-2Ts.
From 1930 onwards auto train operation began on the branch, with M7 0-4-4 tank engines dominating the service; an M7 can be seen on the right occupying the curved branch line platform; the platform was created by the Southern Railway after it took over the LSWR at Grouping.
Below) A super-wide view from the carriage window...during his reconnaissance with a camera in the south of England in 1961, Richard Greenwood caught a train from Exeter back to his base in Guildford on 9th July; this shot shows the view passing Exmouth Junction shed on the former LSWR's West of England Main Line to London.